Bethany Frenette - The Dark Star

This book was quite deceitful I must say. I kept on reading holding my hopes up the fantasy world Bethany conjured might expand...but it didn't, for my great sorrow.
Audrey was however the kind of heroine I might have sticked with, for I loved her quips and witty sidenotes hurled at Len all the time. I was anticipating where this dog-cat fight would lead eventually. And I got what I needed...at the end of the book.

I really stress the idea of this Guardian and his Guarded ship since it has so much potential in it. But the author might have assumed other writers put a slightly much more emphasis on romance in young adults, so she thought having spared us from this slimy hideous love connection between a gorgeous-hero-wanna-be and the defender-of-the-Kins-wanna-be may be a good idea. Well, it was anything but.
a) Leon was too neglected for my liking. He was arrogant, had a knack for scolding Audrey for puttting herself in danger and this kind of passion that every relationship deserves. b) Audrey didn't seem to be able to protect herself from the evil forces of the Harrowers so another reason Leon should have been involved more at least in her training.
I don't mind putting a love interest on hold as long as I can take part of a strong heroine who has some witts. Unfortunately Audrey didn't embody these distinct characteristics. Such a shame.

You know, there wasn't any novelty to this paranormal YA fantasy regarding the core idea. Bad underworld guys need to be kicked in the ass and good earthly fellows need to save the world. The catch is not in the plot necessarily but in the characters. I can't cope with both shallow character development plus good-old-demon-hunting narrative. It is too buch to bear. You don't want that either, do you?
Not to mention the sequel. ??? It was pretty obvious from the last chapter there was no reason whatsoever to drag this drab tidbit along.

Rating

3 out of 5 due to my gigantic heart who didn't race a moment during the most exciting thing of the world (YA reading)

0 comments:

Post a Comment