Amber Mitchelle - Garden of Thorns

As her name would suggest, Rose is not exactly a silk-petaled, blooming in the moonlight type of flower. Nonetheless, she is the crown of the Garden which is basically a grandiose theater in the middle of war between two empires that had put up a stilted theme so that everyone can be called Flowers and Wilted as in the priviliged and the expendables (it is way more dramatic, isn't it?).

Apparently, intimidation is the way to pull the strings amid the aerial dancers in order to run the majestic performance smoothly. However, it didn't really become clear for me why this little show bears so much importance in these dark ages that they needed to capture random girls and force them to dance until they slip or succeed. I suppose it was a twisted way of describing a brothel? So to say the least, I am not overly flabbergasted the original idea of the novel. As I'm told, you should appreciate the simplicity of things....but it was practially short-whitted. The plot is basically a love story that desperately needed the evil uncle character from whom Rayce could easily saved Rose once...no, twice....three times...whatever, who can follow it for now anyay? At which point I have to take note: beggars can't be choosers. (Pride and Prejudice ;) But my lack of imagination doesn't rectify the lack of creativity in this story unfortunately. Not my bad...

The story telling wouldn't be so bad, if it did not focus on the whole mushy, mawkish on-and-off meddley that these two love birds profess seriously. I can't even track who rescues who, who gets captured after who, not to mention, the occassional stabs wounds that obviously shock none of them, with what the suspense and the harroing agony for the main characters are forever lost, so for the time being I feel blank. But the thing is I love being filled up with emotions. Now judge me.
A prickin the thigh? Rose is gaily running after Oren to save him. A blow in the shoulder? She is deftly plying a sword-play with non other than the Demarion king itself being notorious for his agile swordmanship and sheer cruelty. A thrust in the gut? Rayce is happily dancing on his feet after 3 days from a stab in his middle. If he had gotten eviscerated, it would have been a cliffhanger telltale. And now you can behead me if you can :P

All in all, I am pretty negative about reading the sequel. I can do without fake drama right now. No offense.

Rating

3 ot of 5 (cause it was not frightful)

0 comments:

Post a Comment